Welcome to our Blog!


This blog is held by Anne Stuart and Emmanuelle Lemoine, both Interior Designers working from their own practice.
This is a space where to communicate about Interior Design issues, with a special emphasises on the importance to be environmentally responsible.
Please do leave your comments, we are looking forward to reading you soon.

Tip of the day

A north facing and a south facing room don't need the same colours or lighting. Always check before the orientation of the room before planning your new design.


Tuesday 25 September 2012

100% Design 2012 part 1

The last few years, I was a bit disappointed by this show, as it had shrunk and became quite boring, compared to the ones I had seen a little while back. So, this year, I went to 100% Design wondering if it was the time and effort. I must say that the show has considerably changed, and has not a lot in common with the first one I have seen, but this year show was quite interesting, and I finally was very happy to had been there!
Here are  a few of the things that have attracted my attention.

As usual I am always attracted by the light display and I found this one very cute, original and so... British!

Original BTC England http://www.originalbtc.com/

I was intrigued by this quirky chandelier, a unique piece made out with recycled objects. Look at the coffee capsules which are re-used here as the jewel of the chandelier and the lovely cups and tea pot... I really liked this piece and was also positively surprise to discover that it was very affordable!
The designer, the lovely Joana Cabrita Martins was there to present her work as well.
Of course I really liked the fact that it was an eco-friendly piece of art!



Joana Cabrita Martins
Here is another piece. They are all unique, imaginative and beautiful.
This is a lovely simpler pendant.
 
If like me you have that thing for musical instrument, then you can't not like this chandelier, which looks like a knot made out of brass instruments... http://www.delightfull.eu/
 
 
Here are some other beautiful examples shown at 100% Design
 
 
 
 
I love the use of glass in a house, and i mean not only as window panes. For example a glass splash back is a beautiful and easy to maintain surface. So I was very happy to see the designs proposed by the talented Emma Britton.
 
 
 
Another material, that can be blamed for being high embedded energy , but that is also very resilient and can make it of use in a more eco-friendly environment, is concrete. I thought these example of use of concrete could be very interesting, adding a minimalist style, simple and beautiful:
 

 
I think it could be used in a commercial context as well, to create a very trendy cloak room
 

In the kitchen section there were many very modern, shiny, sterile looking kitchen, and there was also this one from DeVol (http://www.devolkitchens.co.uk/air/), which I found beautiful, close to nature, bringing a peaceful atmosphere.





Many other things were to be seen this year, and I can't talk about all of them.This lovely ensemble from Johanson has also attracted my eyes...


 
... as well as this lovely range of Swedish furniture... (http://www.swedese.se/home/)
 
 


And to finish I loved seeing (and touching) these lovely rugs, all bespoke, you choose what you want, and still affordable (http://www.rugdesigner.co.uk/)


 There was another quarter called "Eco" which I visited quickly, not really surprised not to find anything of a real eco-friendly interest. But this year 100% Design has changed its format, for the best. What I like with this show is that it still presents some new designers and novelties that you can't find at other shows.
I hope you have enjoyed my visit of 100% Design 2012!
 
 
Emmanuelle Lemoine
 

1 comment: